Liability for business rates, exemptions, reliefs and mitigation
Business rates usually count as one of the highest overheads, typically the second highest after rent. We are able to advise on a wide range of issues including liability for business rates as well as exemptions, reliefs and mitigation. The team has experience of pursuing and defending cases from the pre-litigation stages to liability order proceedings. Very recent changes in the law, a number of decided cases and the 2017 Government revaluation mean that up to date advice and assessment of business rates is vital.
Here are some examples of work that the Team has undertaken in recent times:
- Correct rating of offices, charities and telecommunication (fibre optic) networks (Oliver Price, Managing Partner at Wansbroughs, was involved in the extensive litigation known as the Vtesse Networks case);
- Liability Orders and Appeals;
- “Mazars” cases – the correct rating of office blocks and similar rateable units. (A significant change in the law in this area was brought about by the Supreme Court case Woolway v Mazars);
- Correct rating of charitable organisations’ premises; and
- Rates mitigation in respect of clinical spaces, including hospital and shop premises.
For any queries please contact Oliver Price or a member of the team.