William is a Partner and is the head of our Corporate and Commercial team. He has extensive experience of multi-jurisdictional mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and fundraising, shareholder agreements, projects, corporate governance and complex commercial contracts.
After graduating from Bristol University, William trained and worked at Allen & Overy in the City and Burges Salmon in Bristol before becoming General Counsel and Group Company Secretary at AIM listed renewable energy company Helius Energy plc. He was on the board of Helius as Chief Operating Officer for three years and led the sale of that company’s assets to an infrastructure fund in 2014. He has also been a director of a number of private companies in the technology, energy and media sectors and ran his own consultancy before returning as a partner at a London law firm in 2017.
He is accredited as a mediator with the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR), and is a lead member of the CEDR faculty and a member of the CEDR mediator panel. He regularly mediates complex commercial disputes and works pro-bono as a community mediator.
William draws on his experience in industry as well as private practice to give pragmatic and commercially focused advice.
Recent work includes:
- Leading on numerous substantial mergers and acquisitions in the technology, media, energy, industrial and agricultural sectors.
- Advising on corporate structuring and shareholder arrangements in respect of private companies and listed entities.
- Advising venture capital and private equity funds on national and cross-jurisdictional investments.
- Advising on commercial contracts in connection with a range of sectors, including media, music industry, energy, aerospace and technology.
- Ongoing corporate advice in respect of landed estates and rural businesses.