Kathryn Smith Cowap – My Journey from Paralegal to Partner at Wansbroughs
Wansbroughs is a great place to work. From trainees to partners, we have excellent working relationships with all of our colleagues across all of the Firm’s practice areas. This closeness means that there is a very supportive and nurturing environment within the Firm.
Our caseloads are extremely varied and the work we do is always of an extremely high quality. The majority of my clients are London based and use the firm because they know that they will receive the same quality expertise and advice as you might expect from a London firm but for a regional firm fee. I enjoy the challenge here and as we are encouraged to do, I am constantly learning and improving my skills.
The training at Wansbroughs is excellent. Thanks to a combination of home grown talent and others who have relocated from London and further afield, we benefit from regular team training sessions as well as ongoing on the job training which is second to none.
The potential for progression at Wansbroughs is considerable. I joined the firm as a paralegal and am now a Partner responsible for the supervision of trainees and paralegals. The firm recognises talent and hard work and we are rewarded accordingly.
Route to Qualification and beyond:
- BA (Hons) English Studies at University of Nottingham
- CPE and LC at UWE
- 2 years’ experience with Bath, Bristol and Wiltshire based firms in paralegal roles
- 5 months’ as a paralegal with Wansbroughs before commencing Training Contract
- Training seats in Private Client, Insurance Litigation, Residential Property
- Qualified into Private Client team in 2010; promoted to Associate Solicitor in 2014 and Partner in 2019